Current:Home > InvestSuspect charged in stabbing of 4 French children; victims no longer in life-threatening condition -Capitatum
Suspect charged in stabbing of 4 French children; victims no longer in life-threatening condition
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 17:17:38
French judges on Saturday handed preliminary charges of attempted murder to a man suspected of stabbing four young children and two adults in a French Alps park, an attack that reverberated across France and beyond.
The suspect, a 31-year-old Syrian refugee with permanent Swedish residency, has a 3-year-old daughter living in Sweden, regional prosecutor Line Bonnet-Mathis said. Witnesses told investigators that the suspect mentioned his daughter, his wife and Jesus Christ during the attack Thursday targeting a playground in the lakeside town of Annecy.
The victims, who came from multiple countries, are no longer in life-threatening condition, the prosecutor said. The children, between 22 months and 3 years old, remain hospitalized.
Police detained the suspect in the lakeside park in the town of Annecy after bystanders — notably, a Catholic pilgrim who repeatedly swung at the attacker with his backpack — sought to deter him.
The suspected attacker, whose name was not released, was presented to investigating judges in Annecy on Saturday and given charges of attempted murder and armed resistance, Bonnet-Mathis said. He is in custody pending further investigation.
The suspect refused to talk to investigators, and was examined by a psychiatrist and other doctors who deemed him fit to face charges, the prosecutor said. She said that the motive remained unclear, but it didn't appear to be terrorism-related.
Witnesses said they heard the attacker mention his daughter, his wife and Jesus Christ, according to the prosecutor, who said he wore a cross and carried two Christian images with him at the time of the attack. He also had 480 euros in cash and a Swedish driver's license, and had been sleeping in the common area of an Annecy apartment building.
He had traveled to Italy and Switzerland before coming to France last October, and French police are coordinating with colleagues in those countries to learn more about his trajectory, said Damien Delaby, director of the regional judicial police.
The child victims were two French 2-year-old cousins, a boy and a girl, who were in the playground with their grandmother when the assailant appeared; a British 3-year-old girl visiting Annecy with her parents; and a 22-month-old Dutch girl, according to the prosecutor.
French President Emmanuel Macron visited the victims and their families, first responders and witnesses Friday. Macron said doctors were "very confident" about the conditions of the two cousins, who were the most critically injured.
The wounded British girl "is awake, she's watching television," Macron added. A wounded Dutch girl also has improved and a critically injured adult — who was both knifed and wounded by a shot that police fired as they detained the suspected attacker — is regaining consciousness, Macron said.
The seriously injured adult was treated in Annecy. Portugal's foreign ministry said he is Portuguese and "now out of danger." He was wounded "trying to stop the attacker from fleeing from the police," it said. The second injured adult was discharged from a hospital, his left elbow bandaged.
The pilgrim, Henri, a 24-year-old who is on a nine-month walking and hitchhiking tour of France's cathedrals, said he'd been setting off to another abbey when the horror unfolded in front of him. The attacker slashed at him, but Henri held his ground and used a weighty backpack he was carrying to swing at the assailant.
Henri's father said his son "told me that the Syrian was incoherent, saying lots of strange things in different languages, invoking his father, his mother, all the Gods."
The suspect's profile fueled renewed criticism from far-right and conservative politicians about French migration policies. But authorities noted that the suspect entered France legally, because he has permanent residency status in Sweden. Sweden and France are both members of the EU and Europe's border-free travel zone.
He applied for asylum in France last year and was refused a few days before the attack, on the grounds that he had already won asylum in Sweden in 2013, the French interior minister said.
- In:
- Stabbings
- France
- Stabbing
veryGood! (25527)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Birders aflutter over rare blue rock thrush: Is the sighting confirmed? Was there another?
- New York made Donald Trump and could convict him. But for now, he’s using it to campaign
- 16 Life-Changing Products From Amazon You Never Knew You Needed
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- What are PFAS? 'Forever chemicals' are common and dangerous.
- Transgender Tennesseans want state’s refusal to amend birth certificates declared unconstitutional
- Man found guilty of murder in 2020 fatal shooting of Missouri officer
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- U.K. government shares video of first migrant detentions under controversial Rwanda plan, calls it a milestone
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Arizona governor’s signing of abortion law repeal follows political fight by women lawmakers
- A former Milwaukee election official is fined $3,000 for obtaining fake absentee ballots
- Biden Administration Awards Wyoming $30 Million From New ‘Solar for All’ Grant
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- North Carolina congressional candidate suspends campaign days before primary runoff
- IRS says its number of audits is about to surge. Here's who the agency is targeting.
- Subway offers buy one, get one free deal on footlong subs for a limited time: How to get yours
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Pennsylvania man convicted of kidnapping a woman, driving her to a Nevada desert and suffocating her
Kentucky Derby allure endures despite a troubled sport and Churchill Downs' iron grip
IRS says its number of audits is about to surge. Here's who the agency is targeting.
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Tiger Woods receives special exemption to play in 2024 U.S. Open at Pinehurst
Biden says order must prevail on college campuses, but National Guard should not intervene in protests
Jockeys Irving Moncada, Emmanuel Giles injured after falling off horses at Churchill Downs